|“You Light Up My Life”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||15 June 2005|
|View the comic|
Team Evil continues through the good-aligned dungeon but the MitD just wants to get lit up, even if it means getting hurt.
- Team Evil
- Two Lantern Archons
- An Androsphynx
- A Hobgoblin
- Panel 1
Team Evil has just killed an Androsphinx.
Xykon: Hey, stop screwing around back there. We're on a schedule.
Redcloak: Sir, we've been through five levels now. Don't you find it odd that every Good-aligned creature in the Monster Manual is squatting in your tower?
Xykon: Not really.
- Panel 2
Xykon: There aren't as many legitimate opponents for Evil characters, since most adventurers are Good-aligned.
Xykon: So it stands to reason that if a dungeon filled with Good creatures is big enough, one should encounter just about all of them.
- Panel 3
Lantern Archon #1: Leave here, foul abominations! The lantern archons decree it!
Xykon: Case in point.
Lantern Archon #2: Turn back now, or face the scorching justice of our deadly rays of light!
- Panel 4
Monster in the Darkness: Excuse me, did you say "rays of light"? As in, you can shoot them?
Archon 1: Yes. In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape our sight.
Demon-Roach: I dunno, I always kinda liked Kyle.
- Panel 5
Monster in the Darkness: Hit me.
Lantern Archon #2: What?
Monster in the Darkness: Hit me with your rays of light.
Lantern Archon #1: Uh...
- Panel 5
Monster in the Darkness: No, really, smack me around with your illuminating mojo. I want to be lit up finally!
Lantern Archon #2: This guy is wigging me out.
- Panel 6
Monster in the Darkness: You can zap me right in the face, I'll be flatfooted and everything. I just want to be lit up!
Lantern Archon #1: Um, yeah, so, we have to go take care of this... thing.
Lantern Archon #2: Yeah, uh, this thing we were supposed to take care of. Over there. Away from here.
- Panel 7
Redcloak: I just want to be clear: We DO get XP for beating them this way, right?
Monster in the Darkness: Please?? It's OK if it hurts, I don't mind!
Lantern Archon #1 (off-panel): Run!
Lantern Archon #2 (off-panel): Get away, you masochistic freak!
D&D Context Edit
- A dead Androsphinx can be seen in the first panel.
- The Monster Manual is the primary D&D reference for the game attributes of monsters and other creatures the PCs may encounter.
- Lantern Archons are good-aligned monsters that have a Light Ray attack.
- Flat-Footed characters lose their Dexterity bonus to AC and cannot make attacks of opportunity.
- Experience Points (XP), can be earned for "defeating" an opponent, rather than just killing it.
- You Light Up My Life is a song by Joe Brooks recorded for the 1977 film of the same name. Debbie Boone's cover of the song held the #1 position on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for 10 consecutive weeks in that year.
- In panel four, the Lantern Archon refrences the Green Lantern corps' oath.
- In the same panel, the demon-roach makes another reference to the Green Lantern. Kyle Rayner is one of Earth's Green Lanterns, however he replaced fan favorite Hal Jordan.