|“With a Critical Eye”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||20 May 2009|
|View the comic|
Redcloak loses his right eye.
- Panel 1
Xykon is holding Vaarsuvius in the air
Xykon: I can't believe you tried scry-and-die tactics on me. ME. You can't even imagine the ways I'm going to hurt you.
- Panel 2
Tsukiko and Jirix head through a door and down a staircase
Tsukiko: 'Kay, I'm going back to bed now. Have fun with your new toy.
Redcloak: Jirix, organize a search of the tower. See if any other elves broke through the Cloister.
Jirix: Yes, Supreme Leader.
- Panel 3
Redcloak: I'll be right behind you, I just need to check on my prison—
- Panel 4
O-Chul charges Redcloak holding the bar from his cage
- Panel 5
O-Chul takes a direct hit from a Distintegrate spell but continues charging.
- Panel 6
- Panel 7
O-Chul drives the metal bar into Redcloak's right eye, "SQLLRCH!"
- Panel 8
O-Chul tears off Redcloak's holy symbol, Xykon's phylactery.
Redcloak: My eye! You human bastard, my eye!
O-Chul: No more spells.
- Panel 9
O-Chul: No more goblin.
Redcloak: —Word of Recall!
- Panel 10
Redcloak disappears and O-Chul's bar strikes the ground.
- Panel 11
O-Chul picks up the phylactery.
O-Chul: No more lich, then.
D&D Context Edit
- "Srcy-and-die tactics" (also called "scry-and-fry") refers to a tactic commonly used by Dungeons and Dragons players when the Dungeon Master fails to include countermeasures against it. In this tactic, the players bypass a dungeon entirely by scrying to locate the boss and teleporting directly to it. Xykon was unaware that Vaarsuvius foolishly skipped the "scry" portion of the tactic.
- Disintegrate is a 7th level spell for clerics of the Distruction Domain. It deals 2d6/level damage, or 5d6 on a successful saving throw.
- Paladins can Smite Evil one or more times per day, depending on level, and do extra damage to evil creatures.
- Clerics use their holy symbol as the focus of their spells. Without it they cannot cast spells.
- Redcloak's holy symbol is also Xykon's phylactery, the repository of his soul. It is his biggest vulnerability.
- Word of Recall is a 6th level spell which instantly teleports the caster back to their sanctuary.
- Redcloak's brother, Right-Eye, lost his left eye to a paladin of the Sapphire Guard's katana. Thus there is a certain irony to Redcloak losing his right eye to another paladin of the Sapphire Guard. This will lead to Tsukiko calling him "Wrong-Eye".
- This is the last apearance of Redcloak with both his eyes.