|“Try, Try Again”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||22 January 2015|
|View the comic|
Haley and Bandana fight a the Crysal golem, but find their attacks are not effective.
- Panel 1
Bandana: I’m barely scratchin’ her! Maybe if you flank we can get in a few Sneak Attacks?
Haley: Doubt it. Her organs are about as functional as the home environment in which she was probably raised.
- Panel 2
Crystal: KILLED ME
Haley: Yes, I know! I was there! Geez!
- Panel 3
Haley: You picked the wrong day to mess with me, Crystal.
Haley: Eat magic!
- Panel 4
Haley shoots three magic missiles at Crystal, but the bounce off harmlessly.
Haley: Darn it! V was right, spell resistance is the worst!
- Panel 5
Bandana: Shoot, how the heck are we supposed to whup her ass now?
Haley: I’ve got one more trick I can try.
- Panel 6
Haley: Three adamantine arrows.
Haley: I’ve been saving them for this demon I know, but they should pierce a golem’s skin no matter how thick it is.
- Panel 7
Haley looses three arrows, "FFT! FFT! FFT!"
- Panel 8
Crystal ducks them all, "WOOOSH!"
- Panel 9
The arrows fly down the street.
- Panel 10
A gnome watches them fly past a railing to the sea.
- Panel 11
Crystal smiles as Haley and Bandana hear the arrows land in the ocean, "SPLOOSH! SPLOOSH! SPLOOSH!"
- Panel 12
Crystal: COME BACK
Crystal: AND DIE
Bandana: Is there a second part to this plan?
Bandana: Is it the same thing, only faster?
Haley: Have you been reading our back catalog?
D&D Context Edit
- Sneak Attacks only work on living creatures with "discernable anatomies". Constructs such as flesh golems are specifically excluded in the rules, as a well placed strike to their organs does not do any particularly bad things to them.
- The wand Haley uses in panel 4 is a wand of Magic Missle.
- Flesh Golems have immunity to magic of many types, as well as damage reduction against most types of weapons, which is why they are having a hard time damaging her. The damage reduction does not apply to adamantine weapons.
- V has had trouble defeating opponents with spell resistance, specifically Zz'dtri, such as in #792.
- In panel 6, Haley is referring to Sabine.