|“Top Five, Certainly”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||24 October 2016|
|View the comic|
A group of frost giant clerics present a more difficult challenge for Haley and V.
- Haley Starshine (also invisible) ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius ◀ ▶
- Blackwing ◀ ▶
- The Clan of Frost Giants:
- A Fiendish Bat
- Panel 1, Page 1
Blackwing: Hey, V, why not call up one of those big pink hands to, like swat the boulders down before they hit the ship.
Vaarsuvius: They do not "swat."
- Panel 2, Page 1
Blackwing: OK, what about—
Blackwing: Bat! Bat!!
Vaarsuvius: They also do not bat or smack or slap or whatever synonym you wish to—
- Panel 3, Page 1
A giant bat approaches the pair.
- Panel 4, Page 1
Blackwing: Kill! Kill it!!
Vaarsuvius: Magic Missle.
- Panel 5, Page 1
Blackwing: No, I wasn't talking to you, Evil Demon Bat!!
The bat bites V's arm, "CHOMP!", while all five of V's missiles it it, "POK! POK! POK! POK! POK!"
- Panel 6, Page 1
An arrow hits the bat between the eyes, "THHNK!"
- Panel 7, Page 1
It disappears, "POOF!"
- Panel 8, Page 1
Haley: V! Are you OK? Sorry I wasn't closer, I was—
Vaarsuvius: There is no time for that. Follow, quickly!!
- Panel 9, Page 1
Haley: We're going as fast as we can without getting too far ahead of the ship. They need to go slow-ish to navigate the pass.
Vaarsuvius: Getting ahead of the ship is precisely what we must do!
Blackwing: Just around the next bend, I think.
- Panel 10, Page 1
Haley: V, what's going on? Where did that bat come from?
Vaarsuvius: The pit of Tartarus, I presume. More to the point is how it got here.
- Panel 11, Page 1
Vaarsuvius: Based on the airspeed of daemonic chiropterans and the standard duration of the sort of incantations that typically summon them—
Vaarsuvius: —I theorize that it must have been conjured nearby, which further implies the direct presence of—
- Panel 1, Page 2
The pair approach a group of frost giant clerics.
Cleric with Tattoo: The littlings must not pass! Lord Thrym commands it!
Haley: Giant clerics!!
Vaarsuvius: —a spellcaster capable of casting the appropriate spell, actually, but given fresh empirical observations, then yes. Giant clerics.
- Panel 2, Page 2
Haley: We need to take them out before the Mechane passes by this ledge!
Vaarsuvius: Agreed. There are any number of clerical spells that, wisely deployed, could prove catastrophic.
Blackwing: And if they knew we were coming—they definitely prepare some!
- Panel 3, Page 2
Haley: Fireball 'em, V!
Vaarsuvius: Defending against fire would almost certainly be their first choice of clerical wards for critical personnel such as—
Haley: Don't explain, just cast something! I'm going in for a Sneak Attack!
- Panel 4, Page 2
Haley swoops down.
- Panel 5, Page 2
Haley begins to fade back into visibility.
Haley: What—? My invisibility spell!
- Panel 6, Page 2
A giant smashes Haley to the ground with his axe, "WHAM!"
- Panel 7, Page 2
Vaarsuvius: On the other hand, Invisibility Purge would also be a high-probability pick.
D&D Context Edit
- In the first two panels V appears to use Scorching Ray, a 2nd level spell, though it is not called out as usual.
- Magic Missle is a staple offensive spell. It is a first level spell but the caster gains more missiles as they gain levels. V has the maximum five missiles, which each unerroringly hit their target for 1d4+1 damage.
- Invisibility Purge is a 3rd level cleric spell which creates a sphere around the caster. Anyone entering the sphere who is invisible becomes visible.
- "Daemonic chiropterans" refers to Daemons in D&D, a group of monsters from the Neutral Evil Outer Planes, and Chiroptera the name of the order of mammals which constitutes the various species of bats.
- The High Priest of Thrym, a frost giant himself, voted to destroy the world in the Godsmoot, so presumably these frost giants have been sent by him.
- This is the first appearance of the squad of frost giant clerics.