|“Those Don't Take Over Until the Graveyard Shift”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||4 March 2010|
|View the comic|
The elf invaders and the resistance are preparing an attack on the prison.
- Ho Thanh ◀ ▶
- Niu ◀ ▶
- Team Peregrine Commander ◀ ▶
- Hydra (as burger) ◀
- Goblin Dan ◀
- Team Harrier Scout ▶
- A Violet-Haired Team Harrier Scout
- Two Dozen Goblins
- A Hobgoblin Cleric
- Hundreds of Hobgoblins
- A Rat
- Panel 1
The blue haired scout is overlooking a crowd of hobgoblins and goblins around Xykon's tower.
Team Harrier Scout: Send it.
Violet-Haired Scout: Animal Messenger.
The scout enchants a rat.
- Panel 2
The rat descends the building.
- Panel 3
The rat runs past Goblin Dan's barbecue stand. The banner reads, "Hydra-Burgers with gouda!"
- Panel 4
The rat navigates the maze of city streets away from the gathering.
- Panel 5
The rat meets Peregrine Commander.
- Panel 6
Peregrine Commander: The message from the scouts in Team Harrier has arrived.
Peregrine Commander holds rat.
Thanh: Green string.
Thanh: Then the goblins have begun their celebration.
- Panel 7
Thanh, Niu and Peregrine Commander hide outside a castle inside a palisade. The sign reads, "
AZURE OUR CITY PRISON". A dozen hobgoblins are visible guarding the tower
Than: Signal the attack, Niu.
- Panel 8
Niu stands with Thanh holding a morning star and a war hammer. Around her neck is a holy symbol and a bandolier of holy water vials hangs over her shoulder.
Niu: So, wait, when you said that the prison would be guarded by a skeleton crew during the speech, you didn't literally mean a—
Thanh: Niu, please.
Niu: What? Look at the world we live in, it was a reasonable assumption.
D&D Context Edit
- Animal Messenger is a 1st level Ranger spell which allows the caster to compel a tiny animal such as a mouse or bird, to go to a spot the caster designates. As shown in this strip, it is useful for delivering messages.
- Skeletons have damage reduction 5/bludgeoning, meaning the first 5 points of damage on each attack don't count, unless the attacker is using a bludgeoning weapon, such as a morning star or war hammer, like Niu carries in the final panel. See below on "skeleton crew".
- In the final panel, Niu confuses Thanh's indication that there would be a "skeleton crew", that is, the barest minimum number of personnel required to keep the prison operational, with a crew composed of undead skeletons, a reasonable mistake in a world where such beings exist. See above on Skeletons and damage resistance for why she then chose to wield bludgeoning weapons.
- The title suggests that there will be a skeleton crew composed of literal skeletons during the graveyard shift, also known as the night shift.
- This is the first appearance of the Team Harrier Scout (with blue hair).
- This is the only other appearance of Goblin Dan in the comics. He first appeared in #326, Getting Ahead in Business. That comic is chronologically his first and last appearances, as it also contains a flash-forward to the distant future where he is old and his hydra burger business is successful. The stand in this strip is an earlier phase of his entrepreneurial effort.
- This is the final appearance of the Hydra, the infinite source of meat for Goblin Dan's hydra burgers. It first appeared in #325.