|“The Shot Heard Round the Dungeon”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||25 April 2004|
|View the comic|
- Roy Greenhilt
- Haley Starshine
- The Linear Guild
- A horde of 1st edition monsters
- An osquip
- A hordling
- some specific ones which are as-yet unidentified
- Panel 1
Zz'dtri destroys the bridge with a spell,
Haley: Tell me, Roy, is NOW a good time to point out I told you so?
- Panel 2
Haley: Because I totally did! I knew we couldn't trust a guy with a goatee.
Roy: Wait, what did you say?
Roy attacks a four-armed four-legged creature.
Haley: I said I told you so.
- Panel 3
Roy beheads a hordling.
Roy: No, after that. A goatee?
Haley: Yeah, y'know, a spiky little devil-beard. They're always a bad sign, new we're—
- Panel 4
Roy: Haley, shoot Nale now!
Haley: What? Roy, he's like 200 feet away, there's an ice wall and few hundred monsters in the way!
- Panel 5
Haley: That's like -37 to hit!
Roy: Haley, please, there's no time! For once, just do what I say! Shoot Nale NOW!!
- Panel 6
Haley: OK, OK, fine! Just shut up so we can die in peace.
- Panel 7
Haley shoots the arrow.
- Panel 8
The arrow arches up past an osquip.
- Panel 9
The arrow starts to comes down.
- Panel 10
The arrow homes in on Nale.
- Panel 11
The arrow embeds in Nale's shoulder breaking the Talisman's chain with a "snap!"
- Panel 12
Nale: No! The talisman!
- Panel 13
The Talisman hits the floor of the chamber with a "SHATTER!!" while some monsters watch.
- Panel 14
Haley: Woot! I rolled a natural 20! I can't believe it!
Roy: I can...
D&D Context Edit
- When rolling to determine whether you hit an enemy or not you roll a 20-sided dice and add your attack bonus. If you roll a 20 on the dice (known as a "natural 20"), you automatically hit.
- The comic's title is a reference to The shot heard round the world, a well-known phrase which refers to the beginning of the U.S. Revolutionary War at the Battles of Lexington and Concord.
- Zz'dtris arcane ectoplasmic aura is sage green while Vs is pink.
- Roy fights one of the hordlings from #55.