|“The Path of Least Expectation”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||9 June 2009|
|View the comic|
The Monster In The Darkness teleports Vaarsuvius and O-Chul to safety by unknown means.
- Panel 1
O-Chul is still frozen by Xykon's Mass Hold Person spell.
- Panel 2
- Panel 3
O-Chul makes his saving throw, breaking free of the spell.
- Panel 4
O-Chul: Elf? I am finally turning my thoughts to escape, now. Try to shrug off the spell, as the Twelve Gods have helped me to do.
O-Chul: No? Then I suppose I am carrying you.
- Panel 5
Monster in the Darkness: O-Chul, you need to get out of here! He's gonna be really mad when he gets back!
O-Chul: Agreed, we must—
- Panel 6
Xykon, enraged, bursts through the wall with a "CRASH!!!!"
Xykon: Do you have any idea how hard it is going to be to find that?!?
Xykon: It has the best anti-detection spells we know on it!!! We're going to need to search for it BY HAND!
- Panel 7
Monster in the Darkness: Oh man! You don't know what he's like when he gets like this! You gotta leave right now!
- Panel 8
Xykon puts his right hand in front of Vaarsuvius's face and his left in O-Chul's mouth.
Xykon: I am officially DONE WITH THIS. I'm snuffing you sickening pouches of warm goo right now.
- Panel 9
Monster in the Darkness: You're my friend, you HAVE to be OK! It can't end like this! It's not fair!
Monster in the Darkness: You need to leave. You need to—
- Panel 10
- Panel 11
Monster in the Darkness' eyes glow.
Monster In The Darkness: —ESCAPE.
- Panel 12
O-Chul and Vaarsuvius vanish with a "pop! pop!"
Xykon: Where did they go???
- Panel 13
Large amounts of magic energy burst from Xykon's hands as he throws up his arms in rage.
Xykon: WHO JUST STOLE MY KILLS?!?!?
- Panel 14
The demon-roaches stare up at the Monster in the Darkness.
Monster in the Darkness: ...What?
Monster In The Darkness: Why are you all looking at me like that?
D&D Context Edit
- Meteor Swarm, the 9th level spell, is Xykon's favored offensive spell.
- MitD's "Escape" power is ambiguous. Possibilities include
- Xykon yelling "WHO JUST STOLE MY KILLS?!?!?" is a reference to kill stealing, which is when in a game someone kills something that someone else had been fighting and gets credit for it.
- There has been much speculation regarding what power enabled the MitD to teleport O-Chul and V to safety. MitD's ability to do this is a major clue to its identity.
- The title is a play on the physical concept of the path of least resistance.