|“The Magic Words”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||3 May 2004|
|View the comic|
- Panel 1
Vaarsuvius: Ah, at long last we shall compare the measure of our respective arcane powers!
Zz'dtri: No Fireballs left.
- Panel 2
Vaarsuvius: Yes, perhaps I have expended my daily allotment of Fireballs, but you as well have cast many Fly spells this long day.
Vaarsuvius: This battle shall thus be decided by the depth of our mastery of the lesser spells!
- Panel 3
Vaarsuvius: Magic missile!
Five missles bounce off of Zz'dtri's Shield, "pock! pock! pock! pock! pock!"
- Panel 4
Vaarsuvius: Scorching ray!
Zz'dtri: Spell resistance.
The Scorching ray stops just short of Zz'dtri with a "sizzle!"
- Panel 5
Vaarsuvius: Oh, right.
- Panel 6
Vaarsuvius: Well, then, I believe perhaps that I am, in fact, completely screwed.
- Panel 7
Zz'dtri shocks Vaarsuvius with green lightning from his dual scimitars.
- Panel 8
The green lightning continues.
Vaarsuvius (thinking): The scimitars... "Zz'dtri"... of course! My only hope!
- Panel 9
Zz'dtri continues the green lightning attack.
Vaarsuvius: Aren't—Aren't you—AAAH!
- Panel 10
Vaarsuvius gets out the though through the pain of the green lightning.
Vaarsuvius: Aren't you a violation of a certain popular fantasy author's intellectual property?!?
- Panel 11
The Lawyers suddenly appear and drag Zz'dtri away while covering his mouth.
D&D Context Edit
- Scorching Ray and Magic Missile are low-level wizard spells that damage opponents. Vaarsuvius produces the maximum five missiles, making him or her at least 9th level at this time.
- Shield is a spell that boosts your armor and negates Magic Missile attacks.
- As a drow elf, Zz'dtri automatically gains Spell Resistance as a racial feature.
- As an elf, Zz'dtri is immune to magical sleep effects.
- Zz'dtri is a parody of Drizzt Do'Urden, a popular character in a long series of books by R.A. Salvatore set in the Forgotten Realms. Drizzt is a trademarked character, hence why the lawyers come in after Zz'dtri.