|“Swoop, There It Is”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||11 September 2006|
|View the comic|
Haley and Vaarsuvius face off agaisnt Leeky Windstaff and his animal companion Kitty.
- Haley Starshine ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius ◀ ▶
- Leeky Windstaff ◀ ▶
- Kitty ▶
- Leeky's Trees ◀ ▶
- A Flumph ◀ ▶
- Psychiatrist ◀
- Panel 1
Vaarsuvius: Perhaps a different tactic is in order, then. Dispel—OOF!
The spell fizzles, "fizzle!" as Vaarsuvius is hit by the sentient tree, "WUMPH!"
- Panel 2
Leeky screams as he is struck by several of Haley's arrows, "thunk! thunk! thunk!"
- Panel 3
Leeky looks upwards to Haley sniping from the rooftops.
Leeky: Another would-be defender of this diseased warren of corrupt humans? And a rogue, too, well beyond the range of her Sneak Attack.
- Panel 4
Leeky: Foolish girl! I am a druid, I have special abilities that are more powerful than your entire class!
Leeky: Come to me, my animal companion!
- Panel 5
Leeky: Now find the rogue and end her, Kitty!
Vaarsuvius, battered, propping themself up from the ground.
Vaarsuvius: You named your hawk "Kitty"?
- Panel 6
The hawk Kitty closes in to Haley's position, Haley firing several arrows, but Haley's arrows are harmlessly deflected from Kitty, "p-ting! "p-tang!"
- Panel 7
Haley, shocked, attempts to reposition her bow to the point blank range of the incoming Kitty.
- Panel 8
The hawk strikes the reeling Haley, "SLASH! SLASH!", and she is knocked prone, "thud!"
- Panel 9
The scene changes to indoors, where the psychologist from the trial at Azure City is seen next to a Flumph, writing pad and quill pen in hand.
Flumph: ...and ever since then, I've felt like...I don't know, like I'm just a...a minor character in, you know, someone else's story.
- Panel 10
Haley falls through the roof, "CRASH!, and lands on the Flumph.
- Panel 11
Enter Kitty, as Haley re-aims her bow towards it. The Flumph is left badly injured.
- Panel 12
Psychiatrist: So when was the last time you experienced this feeling?
Flumph: I see...a bright light.
Flumph: 'M gonna head towards it, 'kay?
D&D Context Edit
- The line in panel four refers to canonical druids being considered overpowered, earning themselves the colloquial nickname "Codzilla" amongst D&D players. Special Abilities are just one aspect of a character class.
- Leeky Windstaff casting Stoneskin on Kitty prevents Haley from shooting her with her arrows.
- The title of the comic is likely a pun on the 1993 song "Whoomp! (There It Is)" by Tag Team, or an allusion to the phrase (to mean "Take a look at that!"). The verbatim line "Swoop, there it is!" was furthermore used in an advertisement for Swoops brand chocolate candy (however in reference to the aforementioned song).
- The name given to the hawk in panel five is likely a reference to the Wright Flyer, which is a nickname given to the plane itself (Kitty Hawk) as well as the location of the first successful flight (Kitty Hawk, NC).
- This is the final appearance of the Psychiatrist.
- This is yet another installment in the long running gag of falling and landing on the flumphs.