|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||10 March 2009|
|View the comic|
Vaarsuvius arrives and begins her battle with the mother dragon.
- Vaarsuvius (Soul Spliced) ◀ ▶
- Ganonron ◀ ▶
- Jephton the Unholy ◀ ▶
- Ancient Black Dragon ◀ ▶
- Inkyrius ◀ ▶
- Haerta Bloodsoak ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius' Auburn-Haired Child ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius' Green-Haired Child ◀ ▶
- Panel 1
The black dragon is standing near Vaarsuvius' destroyed house. Pools of acid lie around the property. Inkyrius is nailed to a tree, and the children are crying.
- Panel 2
Inkyrius (whispering): <Shhh... please, Little Ones, you must be quiet. I know you are scared, but we must not draw the dark monster's attention—>
Dragon: No...let them cry.
- Panel 3
Dragon: It is not as if silence will cause me to let them go with just their broken legs.
Inkyrius: Please, we haven't done—
Dragon: They might as well—-
The sound of Vaarsuvius teleporting in off-panel is heard, "POP!"!
- Panel 4
Vaarsuvius hovers above the dragon.
Ganonron: Your doom is here.
Haerta: Your doom is here.
Jephton: Your doom is here.
- Panel 5
Dragon: I do not know how you got off that island, elf, but I welcome your presence. It will be satisfying later to know that you were present for your family's demise—
Dragon: —and simply powerless to stop it.
Dragon: Anti-magic Field!
- Panel 6
- Panel 7
The anti magic field is shattered by the disjunction.
- Panel 8
Vaarsuvius: Quickened Disintegrate.
D&D Context Edit
- The dragon was previously able to defeat V with the 6th level Antimagic Field spell in #627. The spell cancels magical effects within its radius.
- Mage's Disjunction is a 9th level spell, but still only has a 1%/level chance of destroying an antimagic field. However, with the Soul Splice, V's effective level may be over level 84.
- The Quicken Spell Feat allows the caster to cast a spell as a bonus action, leaving their normal action free to cast another spell. Thus V cast both spells in this strip in the same combat round.
- Disintegrate is a 6th level spell which causes 2d6/level damage or 5d6 on a successful Fortitude Save. With the soul splice, V would likely do the maximum 40d6 damage.
- The title of the previous strip was a reference to the Rolling Stones song Paint it Black. The title of this strip references the Rolling Stones song Shattered, from their 1978 album, Some Girls.'.