|“Scents and Cents Ability”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||7 August 2017|
|View the comic|
Durkon recalls his mother's frugality and his first case of food poisoning.
- Durkon Thundershield (also as spirit) ◀
- "Durkon" ◀
- Sigdi Thundershield ◀
- Thirden ◀
- Hoskin ◀
- Durkon's Aunt ◀
- Kandro ◀
- Shirra ◀
- Logann ◀
- Panel 1, Page 1
"Durkon": I still can't help but notice that you volunteered a suitable location for our evil plans without even being asked.
Durkon: Guess so.
- Panel 2, Page 1
"Durkon": I don't understand you. You switch back and forth between fighting me for every inch and giving me more help than I requested.
Durkon: Wha do ye care? Jus' take tha extra help when I give it.
- Panel 3, Page 1
"Durkon": I don't care. Not really. But I want to be sure you're not plotting something.
"Durkon": I meant something that might actually work.
- Panel 4, Page 1
Durkon: I'll make ye a deal. Watch tha next part o' this memory, an' I'll tell ye tha Thor's honest truth.
"Durkon": Thor is a deceitful and untrustworthy wretch. But I know you think he's not, so I agree.
- Panel 5, Page 1
They look back into Durkon's memory.
Logann: It's justa scratch I got n' army trainin', Ma. It's na big deal.
Durkon's Aunt: Shush. Let yer cousin work.
- Panel 6, Page 1
Durkon: Cure Minor Wounds!
Durkon's Aunt: I just go chills.
Hoskin: Thar he go, lad! Praise Thor!
- Panel 7, Page 1
Shirra: Sigdi, what's wrong? You don't look like the proud mother of a newly ordained cleric of Thor.
Sigdi: Och, I am. I ne'er been prouder o' me boy.
- Panel 8, Page 1
Sigdi: I just... I willnae haf tha money ta pay ye back until next month at tha earliest.
Shirra: That's what you're worried about, today of all days?!?
Sigdi: Ye know I dinnae like bein' in debt, 'specially fer a silly luxury like this.
- Panel 9, Page 1
Shirra: Sigdi, I love you, but... it's a new dress! You're entitled to one new dress when your child becomes the living messenger of the Thunder God.
Thirden: True! It's a little-known church bylaw.
- Panel 10, Page 1
Kandro: An' ye know how tha five o' us all feel aboot ye payin' us back anythin'.
Sigdi: I know, but—
Shirra: But, but, but! That dress is a gift from me to you, and my honor will be deeply insulted if you try to give me money for it later.
Sigdi: Och, alright. Thank ye, all o' ye.
- Panel 11, Page 1
Cut back to Durkon's mind
"Durkon": See, this is what I'm talking about! They throw you a party, and your memories are filled up with what you mother was doing during it!
"Durkon": You were a spectator in your own life before I made you a spectator in your own life!
- Panel 1, Page 2
"Durkon": Now answer my question: Why did you just help me?
Durkon: It's Tuesday.
- Panel 2, Page 2
Durkon: Tha owners o' tha hall're Odin-worshippers, so thar always closed on Tuesday, 'cause it's tha night b'fore thar holy day.
Durkon: Ye were gonna go lookin' fer a place to set up wit or wtout me help, so at least I could steer ye ta a place where thar willnae be anyone ta kill right now.
- Panel 3, Page 2
"Durkon": What does that have to do with the memory you just showed me?
Durkon: I was hopin' he'd learn a lesson aboot acceptin' help when offer'd
Durkon: Nah. I just wanted ye ta watch it.
- Panel 4, Page 2
"Durkon": If that's the reason you, helped, you're a fool. Your efforts have only increased the chances that those dwarves all die anyway when Hel's plans come to fruition.
Durkon: But if Roy beats ye, then I'll haf saved thar lives.
- Panel 5, Page 2
"Durkon": You shouldn't get your hopes up. I have plenty of ideas for dealing with Roy that won't interrupt our efforts to sway the Council vote tomorrow.
"Durkon": You have no power to stop me. What do you have to say about that, Durkon?
- Panel 6, Page 2
- Panel 7, Page 2
"Durkon": What is that smell??
- Panel 8, Page 2
"Durkon": Oh Hel—it's revolting
Durkon: Tha's tha memory o' tha first time I got food poisonin' from human cookin'.
"Durkon": I'm gonna throw up!
Durkon: Ye cannae! Yer a negative energy spirit, rememb'r?
- Panel 9, Page 2
Durkon (off-panel): Unnnnh...
"Durkon": Turn it off! Turn it off!
Durkon: Suit yerself, but thar's six more hours o' me runnin' ta tha can, an' ye'll haf ta smell ev'ry minute of it at some point!
- Panel 10, Page 2
"Durkon": That's why I'm not worried about you upsetting my plans. The best you can come up with is... is a juvenille[sic] prank!
Durkon: Yer tha one makin' me relive me whole childhood.
- Panel 11, Page 2
"Durkon": Biology is disgusting! I don't know how the living live like that!
Durkon: Ye've na ev'n seen half tha gross stuff skin can do yet! Yer gonna love the extended pus-squeezin' montage I got lined up!
- The title is a pun on the title of the 1811 Jane Austin novel, Sense and Sensibility.
- In panel 8, page 2, Durkon is referring to #947, in which "Durkon" responded to Durkon's filial love with, "If I wasn't composed entirely of Negative Energy, I would yarf."
- This strip is the latest appearance of several characters:
- The vampire spirit who controls the body of Durkon Thundershield, known as "Durkon" (aka the High Priest of Hel, though that title has passed to another). Counting strips since he was freed of his thralldom to Malack, and where he either speaks or appears as a spirit in Durkon's head (since in the other strips only Durkon's corpse is shown), he has appeared in sixty-four strips. His first appearance as an independent entity is in #907.
- Sigdi Thundershield, Durkon's mother. She has only appeared in Durkon's memories called up by the vampire spirit which occupies his body. She first appeared in #947, "Keep in Mind".
- Thirden, Hoksin, Kandro, Shirra and Durkon's Aunt, close friends and "aunts" and "uncles" to Durkon. They first appeared in #958.
- Durkon's cousin Logann, who first appeared in #962.