|“Respirate in Peace”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||4 May 2015|
|View the comic|
Roy considers how to pass "Durkon" off as living. "Durkon" considers his own ends.
- Roy Greenhilt ◀ ▶
- Durkon Thundershield (as vampire and as spirit) ◀ ▶
- "Durkon" ◀ ▶
- Acolyte of Hoder with Ponytail ▶
- Acolyte of Hoder with Clockwork Leg ▶
- Acolyte of Hoder with Goatee ▶
- Panel 1
Acolyte of Hoder with Ponytail: Hello! Welcome to the Shrine of Hoder. How may we help you today?
Roy: Hey. We need some healing.
Acolyte of Hoder with Clockwork Leg: Of course, of course. What services do the two of you require.
Roy: I need a Resurrection spell for…uh…a friend of mine who is dead.
- Panel 2
Acolyte of Hoder with Ponytail: Oh my. I’m sorry for your loss. Did you bring any remains you were able to salvage with you?
Roy: Oh yeah. One lifeless corpse, right here.
Roy pokes "Durkon"'s face, "poke! poke!"
Acolyte of Hoder with Clockwork Leg: We will speak with our head cleric and let him know. Please wait here.
- Panel 3
Inside Durkon's head
Durkon: Now I know ye dinnae really wanna resurrect me—
Durkon: —so why’re ye leading’ Roy ‘round ta all these temples?
"Durkon": A bit of improvisational theater on my part.
- Panel 4
"Durkon": It turns out the best way to get where my mistress needs me is for Roy to escort me there.
- Panel 5
Outside the Shrine of Hoder.
Roy: Hey…what’s with the blindfolds anyway?
"Durkon": Hoder’s blind, so ‘is priests wear ‘em while on their duty
- Panel 6
Roy: I would say that’s lucky for us, then—
Roy: —but they probably have super-sensitive gnome hearing. They noticed two sets of footsteps, eventually they’ll notice only one person breathing.
- Panel 7
Roy: Wait—your voice might be supernatural now, but you still have lungs and a diaphragm and everything.
Roy: Try faking some breathing noises.
- Panel 8
Inside Durkon's head.
"Durkon": Hmmmm. He is clever. Such a ruse would increase the chances of my own goals succeeding as well.
"Durkon": Very well. You shall breathe once more, Durkon!
- Panel 9
- Panel 10
- Panel 11
Inside the Shrine of Hoder, with Roy and "Durkon" visible outside
"Durkon": GWOOOOBWURRR! GWOOOOBARRRR! GWOOOOGWOOOBWEERRR!
Acolyte of Hoder with Goatee: Ah, a soulful bagpipe dirge for his departed friend.
Acolyte of Hoder with Ponytail: My feels have been hit for maximum damage!
D&D Context Edit
- In D&D, clerics of a high enough level can perform resurrections, even on vampires, given enough time and a sufficient amount of diamonds.
- Hoder is a blind god, son of Odin and Frigg, who was tricked by Loki into killing his brother Baldur with a mistletoe arrow. He is associated with darkness and winter by modern pagans.
- Hoder's clerics use blindfolds as a homage to their blind deity. That is convenient for the High Priest of Hel, because that allows him to hide is vampiric nature.