Eventually, at the commentary in Book 4, "Don't Split the Party", author Rich Burley confirmed that the Cockroaches' claim was accurate and furthermore that one of those factions would be introduced in Book 5 (which turned out to be "Blood Runs in the Family"), implying that said faction is either the Vector Legion, Hel or perhaps the Draketooth Family.
As of the time of Comic #997, "Plan B", several additional groups were revealed and speculated to be among the nine.
It is still not entirely clear who are those factions, nor how they are counted or even if they have all been revealed. Some have become entirely or practically extinct since, while others have complex relationships with close alliances or some level of internal conflict, some of which has been only hinted at and may not be significant.
For instance, Azure City's resistance had been unified by the time of #548, but it used to comprise at least three distinct factions. Their Elven allies may or may not be counted separately, as well, and all later become effectively extinct.
Forum discussion on the matter is recurrent.
Factions known until Comic #548Edit
- Order of the Stick
- Team Evil, arguably two or even three separate factions given the incompatibility of their end goals (represented by Jirix, Redcloak and Xykon). The Dark One seems to be aligned with both Jirix and Redcloak, and by extension with Xykon (for the time being) but there is reason to question how reliable those alliances are. Redcloak himself fully expects Xykon and the Dark One to run at cross purposes eventually
- The Azurite government-in-exile, and the Azurite Resistance, including Team Peregrine
- Linear Guild
Factions revealed laterEdit
- Inter-Fiend Cooperation Commission (had a cameo early on but was only truly revealed later)
- Vector Legion
- The Asgardian Pantheon of the Northern gods (starting with the Godsmoot plot in Book 6).
Arguable and/or speculativeEdit
- The Order of the Scribble, possibly: currently Serini is the only one apparently alive
- Lord Kubota and his faction of conservative Azure City nobles.
- The Elven people, who are Azure City's allies.
- Monster In The Darkness, who is showing greater independence from Team Evil.
- Hypothetically, any people who may exist inside it (although the limited evidence available implies that there are none)
- The Dark One, who may or may not be in full alliance with Redcloak and Gobbotopia
- Hel and her High Priest, who have divided the Pantheon into two factions
- Tsukiko is believed to have been fully loyal to Xykon, but that may not be the complete truth
- The Greysky City Thieves' Guild
- Amun-Zora's resistance against the Empire of Blood, employing Ian Starshine, Gannji, and Enor