|“It Probably Squeaks, Too”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||26 May 2009|
|View the comic|
O-Chul kills Jirix but fails to destroy Xykon's phylactery.
- Vaarsuvius (also seen invisible) ◀ ▶
- Xykon ◀ ▶
- O-Chul ◀ ▶
- Qarr ◀ ▶
- Jirix ◀ ▶
- The IFCC
- Panel 1
Jirix enters and sees O-Chul.
Jirix: Supreme Leader? Are you OK? I thought I heard you—
- Panel 2
O-Chul kills Jirix by impaling him with the metal bar.
- Panel 3
Xykon: I'm sort of in the middle of—HEY! Hands off the bling, Scarface!!
Xykon drops Vaarsuvius to cast Meteor Swarm.
Xykon: Meteor Swarm!
- Panel 4
O-Chul is hit by all four meteors.
- Panel 5
O-Chul raises his bar above the phylactery.
- Panel 6
O-Chul strikes the phylactery, "CLANG!", to no effect.
- Panel 7
O-Chul strikes the phylactery three more times, "CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!", to no effect.
- Panel 8
Xykon knocks O-Chul off his feet with a lightning bolt.
Xykon: Yeah, it's gonna take more than a few whacks with a metal bar to scuff the finish, pally.
Xykon: There are so many abjuration spells protecting that thing, I've forgotten what half of them actually do.
Xykon: Maximized Lightning Bolt.
- Panel 9
In the IFCC lair, Lee, Cedrik, Nero, and Qarr watch the action.
Cedrik: Where'd the elf go?
Lee: Turned invisible while you were in the john. Here, I'll adjust the screen.
Nero: I can't believe I was rooting for a paladin for a moment there. I feel dirty.
- Panel 10
The settings on the Hell-Damned TV are adjusted, "SEE INVISIBLE: OFF ON". Vaarsuvius is shown in outline on the TV.
Lee: There we go.
Nero: Making a beeline for the stairs.
Cedrik: Good. Get out of there already, I say.
- Panel 11
Qarr: Can't you guys, I don't know, Plane Shift her out of there?
Lee: We can only act directly on the mortal plane when we're making a deal.
Nero: That's the main reason we need imps like you to run errands for us.
Cedrik: If the elf dies here, this whole thing was a huge waste of time.
- Panel 12
Lee: Uh-oh, guys, I think we have a problem.
Nero: What? What is it?
Cedrik: The bane of all invisible characters ever—
- Panel 13
Vaarsuvius stands before a door marked "STAIRS".
Cedrik (inset): A closed door.
Xykon: Now, where did that elf go...?
D&D Context Edit
- Meteor Swarm is a 9th level spell, one of Xykon's favorites. It produces four meteors which can be independently targeted. Each meteor deals 2d6 damage on a direct hit and 6d6 damage in 40 foot radius around the blast. Depending on the outcome of the attack rolls and, if they missed, O-Chul's saving throws, he would have taken between 24d6/2 and 48d6 damage.
- Invisibility is a 2nd level spell, rendering the subject invisible for 1 min/level.
- Lightning Bolt is a 3rd level spell which does 1d6/level damage, to a maximum of 10d6 damage, effecting creatures in a straight line from the caster.
- Maximize Spell is a Feat which causes all variable numeric effects of a spell to take their maximum value. Thus the lightning bolt did 60 points of damage (or 30 on a successful saving throw), rather than the variable 10d6 it would otherwise do.
- See Invisibility is a 2nd level spell, and apparently a built-in setting on Hell-Damned (HD) TVs.
- The title and the final panel refer to the difficulty an invisible character is presented by a closed door: opening the door allows escape but reveals the location of the invisible character.
- This is the second time Jirix was killed by a paladin of the Sapphire Guard. He was decapitated by a kick from Miko Miyazaki in #461.