|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||16 August 2008|
|View the comic|
Qarr sets the pit fiend on the party, and Vaarsuvius decides to take it on alone.
- Panel 1
Pit Fiend: WHO DARES TO—Oh, hey, Qarr. What's up?
Qarr: No time for small talk, I'm calling in my marker. I want all mortals on this island dead.
- Panel 2
Pit Fiend: Aww, c'mon. Taking combat orders from an imp is just embarrassing!
Qarr: Oh? More embarrassing than, say, throwing a future service marker into the pot when you were only holding a pair of Jacks?
Pit Fiend: I thought you were bluffing!
Qarr: I had three Kings showing.
Pit Fiend: ...
Pit Fiend: I thought you were bluffing REALLY well.
- Panel 3
Qarr: Look, they're already down there buffing themselves with fancy enchantments and abjurations and whatnot, so stop whining and go kill them all.
Pit Fiend: *sigh* Ok, fine, fine.
- Panel 4
Qarr: Good. Your presence here opens up a few possibilities that I need to go act on.
Qarr teleports away with a "pop!"
- Panel 5
Lien: What exactly IS that thing? Besides big, red, and angry?
Durkon: Mass Bear's Endurance.
Elan: Really? It seems less "angry" and more... "mildly put out".
Hinjo: Vaarsuvius, do you have any idea how we can—
Hinjo: V, wait!
- Panel 6
Vaarsuvius flies toward the devil.
Vaarsuvius: Hear my voice, interloping cretin. I have little time to give over to your defeat, as this entire scenario is a tragic waste of my precious research time.
Vaarsuvius: Therefore, I will simply banish you.
- Panel 7
Vaarsuvius: If you are familiar with the Banishment spell, you will note that the spell is more powerful if the caster presents something that the target "hates, fears, or otherwise opposes".
Vaarsuvius: As such, I present only my Common Sense, which your ludicrous stature clearly defies.
Vaarsuvius: As it is certainly a rare commodity on this world, I imagine it will be doubly effective.
- Panel 8
The pit fiend hits Vaarsuvius with a burning claw, "WHOMP!"
- Panel 9
Vaarsuvius hits the ground, "THUNK!"
- Panel 10
Durkon: Vaarsuvius, ye daft fool! Ye coulda gotten yerself killed tryin' ta fight it alone.
Elan: I was sorta hoping the hit would knock you out. I mean at least then you would get some rest.
Vaarsuvius: Remain here while I ascertain how it feels about unwanted advice and misguided chastisements.
Vaarsuvius: If it is at all like myself, both of you may yet prove integral to its eventual banishment.
D&D Context Edit
- Imps do not canonically have a teleport spell-like ability, but the convention has been established for Qarr that he can. He is also a sorcerer, so he could be casting it as the 5th level spell, in which case he would be at least 10th level.
- Mass Bear's Endurance grants +4 Constitution to multiple people, which grants extra hit points, better Fortitude saves, better endurance, etc.
- V already has a Fly spell in effect.
- Banishment, a V's spellcasting level would normally work for a creature of the pit fiend's hit dice, but pit fiends have a high level of spell resistance, which made the attempt unlikely to succeed. As V notes in the dialog, presenting items that are anathema to the creature will give bonuses, doubly so if they are rare.
- The title plays on the fact that the hated items are supposed to be physical objects, but Vaarsuvius instead presents, "common sense", "unwanted advice", and "misguided chastisements", all immaterial concepts.
- Celia and the Pit Fiend have a similar reaction to being summoned; she was summoned by her amulet in #529, The Summons.