|“His Name Probably Helps, Too”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||27 August 2008|
|View the comic|
Hinjo and Argent strike a blow against the pit fiend.
- Durkon Thundershield ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius ◀ ▶
- Mr. Scruffy ◀ ▶
- Hinjo ◀ ▶
- Lien ◀ ▶
- Lord Shojo ◀ ▶
- Pit Fiend ◀ ▶
- Argent ◀
- Azurite Dentist ▶
- Panel 1
Hinjo: Vaarsuvius, I need you to fly me up to—
Vaarsuvius: I'm sorry, you seem to have mistaken me for some sort of aerial livery service.
- Panel 2
Vaarsuvius: It is for the protection of your people that I am engaging this titanic fiend, so it would behoove you to stop attempting to direct my efforts elsewhere.
Vaarsuvius: Empowered Lightning Bolt.
Vaarsuvius: Since it is clear that only the arcane arts have any hope of thwarting this opponent, I am the lone individual qualified to judge what is the most effective disposition of my ample magical talents.
Vaarsuvius: Quickened Magic Missile.
- Panel 3
Hinjo: Twelve Gods, that elf is starting to get on my nerves.
Durkon: Jus' now? Yer runnin' six months behind tha rest o' us.
Hinjo: I know I can hurt this thing, if only I could reach something other than its ankles!
- Panel 4
Durkon: Sit on me head.
Durkon: Sit on me head.
- Panel 5
Hinjo: Uh, Durkon, I don't think this is really the time or place for—
Durkon: Lad, I don't haf time ta explain! Jus' do it!
- Panel 6
Hinjo sits on Durkon's head.
Hinjo: OK, well, this is sort of awkward. How does this—
Durkon: Thor's Might!
- Panel 7
Hinjo gets catapulted to the Devil due to the sudden growth of Durkon.
- Panel 8
Durkon grows more, Hinjo flies through the air.
- Panel 9
Hinjo: Hey, now this is more what I had in mind!
Hinjo opens a pokeball to summon Argent.
- Panel 10
Argent bites the devil, while Hinjo slashes with his katana.
Hinjo: Smite Evil!
Pit Fiend: RRAAAAWWRR!!
- Panel 11
Lien: Great job, sir. But how were you able to hurt it? My spear has barely scratched its skin.
Hinjo: Devils hate silver. This is my silvered katana: I have a cold iron one, too.
Hinjo: And as for Argent's bite... well, let's just say that we have my late uncle to thank for that.
- Panel 12
Flashback to Argent being treated by a dentist.
Shojo: Look, I'm sorry he needs his teeth filled, but it's not my fault! You said it was OK to feed him table scraps while you were gone!
Hinjo: A 20-lb. tub of strawberry cake frosting does not qualify as a "table scrap"!
Shojo: Then you obviously haven't been eating at the right tables!
D&D Context Edit
- The Empower Spell Feat increases variable numeric effects of a spell by 50%.
- Lightning Bolt deals 1d6 damage per level, to a max of 10d6. Empowered, it deals 1.5x that damage.
- Quicken Spell is a Feat which allows the caster to cast the spell as a bonus action, effectively doubling the number of spells which can be cast in that round.
- Magic Missile is a 1st level spell which deals 1d4+1 damage per missile. V deals the maximum five missiles.
- Thor's Might is a non-canonical spell which Durkon uses throughout the comics. Its effects are similar to the Righteous Might spell.
- The paladin's Smite Evil ability deals extra damage to evil creatures, adding the paladin's charisma bonus plus one point per level.
- The title is reference to the fact that Argent means Silver in French.
- Hinjo continues the Pokemon gag when summoning his mount. The gag began with Miko Miyazaki in #373, and Hinjo and Lien also use Pokeballs in #432 and #479.
- This is the final appearance of Argent, Hinjo's Dire Wolf paladin mount, thus far in the comics. Argent first appears in #432.
- This is the first appearance of the Azurite Dentist.