|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||23 November 2003|
|View the comic|
- Panel 1
The party sleeps while Roy keeps watch.
Roy: *YAWN* Stupid unreliable party members.
Eugene (off-panel): Roy... Roy...
- Panel 2
Roy: Is someone calling me?
- Panel 3
A ghostly form appears.
Eugene: No, Roy, I'm just shouting "Roy! Roy!" for the hell of it.
- Panel 4
Roy: Dad? But... you and Mom are both dead...
Eugene: Yeah, funny thing about being a ghost, it has some harsh prerequisites.
- Panel 5
Eugene: Now stop being shocked with disbelief and listen to this:
Eugene: "When the goat turns red strikes true."
- Panel 6
Roy: What? I don't—I don't understand.
Eugene: Of course you don't understand yet, it's foreshadowing.
- Panel 7
Eugene: Good gods, boy, it's a common literary technique used to build tension by hinting at events yet to come. Didn't they teach you anything in that fancy Fighter College I sent you to?
- Panel 8
Eugene: Of course, you mother wanted you to be a wizard, but nooooo. I had to pay 40,000 gp a year in tuition so you could learn to swing a big sword!
Roy: It's called a greatsword, Dad.
- Panel 9
Eugene: Feh. Well, I'm playing canasta with some archons tonight. gotta go.
Roy: Wait, Dad!
- Panel 10
Eugene (off-panel): Remember, Roy: "When the goat turns red strikes true."
- Panel 11
- Panel 12
Eugene: And what, they have no clerics where you live? Would it kill you to Speak With Dead once in a while to let your mother and me know how you're doing?
D&D Context Edit
- Speak with Dead is a 3rd level cleric spell that does exactly what it sounds like.
- Archons are Lawful Good aligned angelic creatures typically found in Heaven (Celestia), as well as Arcadia and Bytopia.
- This comic marks Eugene's first appearance.
- This comic sheds some light on Roy's past—his mother and father are dead, and Roy went to an expensive Fighter College, despite his parents wishes that he become a wizard; it is also only now known that Roy is using a greatsword.
- This is the first comic where a being speaks with a colored speech bubble.
- Eugene's prediction came true in #59, The Shot Heard Round the Dungeon.
- This is the first time archons are mentioned.
- "When the goat turns, red strikes true."—Eugene