|“Cursing the Darkness”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||16 May 2005|
|View the comic|
Vaarsuvius is getting more and more frustrated, and the team gets another boss encounter.
- The Order of the Stick
- Young Adult Black Dragon ▶
- Panel 1
Elan (singing): ♪♪Walk, walk, walk, walk through the slightly damp corridor!♪♪
Roy: I blame myself for encouraging him.
- Panel 2
It goes completely black.
Haley: What the—?
Belkar: Where'd all the light go?
- Panel 3
Elan: Maybe someone turned off the sun?
Vaarsuvius: Clearly, it is a spell of Darkness, you ignorant fools, but I suppose having someone on the team with enough ranks in Spellcraft to determine that was not a top priority.
- Panel 4
Durkon: OK, OK, I'm freaking out.
Roy: Calm down. Durkon, what do you see with your darkvision?
- Panel 5
Durkon: That's just it, lad, I dinnae see nuthin'.
Roy: Assume for sake of argument you didn't intend to use a double negative there, then that would make this magical darkness.
- Panel 6
Vaarsuvius: Excellent deduction, Greenhilt. Naturally, I already mentioned that, but you may have noticed that you forgot to CHANGE ME BACK TO AN ELF.
Roy: And if it's magical darkness, if has a fixed radius. We should be able to get out by walking forward until we get to the edge of the spell's area of effect.
Haley: OK, guys, let's look for the spell's edge.
- Panel 7
Haley walks out of the darkness.
Haley: Hey, guys, I found the edge!
Roy: See? I told you.
Haley: It's right over here by the—
- Panel 8
Haley sees a Young Adult Black Dragon.
- Panel 9
Haley: Back into the darkness!
Roy: But you just said—
Haley: BACK INTO THE DARKNESS!!
D&D Context Edit
- Darkness is a spell that creates a magical darkness that can be brightened by light.
- Spellcraft is a skill that allows characters to identify magical effects that have been cast on them.
- Attribution of lines in the 2nd and 3rd panels is made by inference of their marching order, their character, and other speakers reactions.
- This is the first appearance of the Young Adult Black Dragon.