|“Copper Piece Arcade”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||29 September 2006|
|View the comic|
Fighting centipedes with missiles? Brings back memories...
- Durkon Thundershield ◀ ▶
- Julia Greenhilt ◀ ▶
- Leeky Windstaff (as a Dire Bear) ◀ ▶
- Pompey ◀ ▶
- Two Fiendish Centipedes
- A Fiendish Spider
- Panel 1
Leeky knocks over Durkon, "WHUMF!!"
Julia: That looks like it hurt.
- Panel 2
Durkon: 'Ere, make yerself useful, lass, an' shove this potion down tha elf's throat.
Julia: Uh, OK, but... don't you think you'll need it more?
Durkon: Nay, I'll be fine.
- Panel 3
Durkon: I'll wear 'im down. I can still cast all me healin' spells, but he cannae heal 'imself while he's in the shape o' tha dire bear.
Durkon: Well, unless he took that Natural Spell feat.
- Panel 4
Julia: Wait, I'm confused—
Julia: There are druids who DON'T take the Natural Spell feat??
Durkon: Just go!
- Panel 5
Durkon grows to giant size.
Durkon: THOR'S MIGHT!!
- Panel 6
Julia: OK, OK, you can do this, Julia. Just find the elf and give her the potion.
Julia: Crap, or is it a "him"? He didn't say...
- Panel 7
Pompey: There she is! How did she get out into the battle? If Nale sees her, I'm toast.
Pompey: Summon Monster II! Again!
Pompey: Hell, Summon Monster I, too.
- Panel 8
Julia: Ugh, what are those? Giant centipedes? Gross!
Julia: Suck on force damage, bugs! Magic Missile!
- Panel 9
Julia fires magic missiles at the centipedes.
- Panel 10
Julia: Help! I'm out of quarters! I mean, "spells"!
- Panel 11
Chief: Man, that brought back memories.
Rookie: I don't get it.
Chief: Before your time, kid. Before your time.
D&D Context Edit
- Natural Spell is a Feat that allows the Druid to cast spells in his wild shape.
- Thor's Might is a homebrewed spell that allows Durkon to assume giant form.
- Summon Monster I and Summon Monster II conjure creatures of increasing strength.
- Magic Missle is a staple 1st level wizard combat spell which produces a level-dependent number of missiles which unerringly hit their targets. Julia only shoots two missiles, which means that she must be a 3rd level Wizard (this is confirmed by Roy in #485).
- The title is a reference to old penny arcades.
- The ninth panel is a reference the old arcade game Centipede
- Players who believe the Cleric or Druid classes are overpowered will sometimes refer to them with the abbreviation "CODzilla". The fight between giant Durkon and the bear is a reference to the giant monster battles that would occur in the Godzilla series.