|“Completely Mist the Point”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||15 September 2015|
|View the comic|
Roy finds it difficult to fight "Durkon" after he assumes gaseous form.
- Roy Greenhilt ◀ ▶
- Durkon Thundershield (as vampire) ◀ ▶
- "Durkon" (also in gaseous form) ◀ ▶
- High Priests of the Northern Pantheon:
- Panel 1
Roy: I don't know why you're doing this, Durkon, but I can't let it pass.
"Durkon": Why am I doing this? Gee, I don't know...
- Panel 2
"Durkon" turns to mist.
"Durkon": Maybe it's because I'm an Evil vampire now?
- Panel 3
Roy: You'll forgive my insensitivity to your new personal identity when I say: So what?
Roy pulls the Greenhilt Sword out of the floor, "CHUUNK".
- Panel 4
Roy: Xykon is an Evil lich. Tarquin's an Evil human. Neither one of them wants to actually destroy the world.
Roy swing through "Durkon"'s gaseous form, "WOOOSH!"
Roy: Heck, Belkar is an Evil Halfling, and he's like 70% towards wanting to save it.
- Panel 5
Roy: You need to have some underlying reason for supporting this scheme.
He swings again, "WIFFFFFFF!"
"Durkon": My mistress Hel desires it. That is all I require, now.
- Panel 6
High Priest of Freyr: Where's Balder's man with those demigod priests?
High Priestess of Frigg: I'm in no hurry for him to get back!
High Priest of Freyr: Neither am I, but it's weird...
- Panel 7
Cut to the High Priest of Balder alone at the top of the stairs.
High Priest of Freyr (inset): All he needed to do was go to the top of the stairs and call for an usher.
High Priest of Balder: Hello?
High Priest of Balder: Hellooooooo?
- Panel 8
Roy: So you're just a puppet, is that it? Shouldn't you be worshipping Elan's clown instead?
Roy: I thought vampires were supposed to be free-willed undead.
"Durkon": We are, and I have freely chosen to serve.
- Panel 9
Roy: Sounds like a convenient realization to me.
Roy: You said you could do whatever you wanted now, unbound by tradition- yet here you are, foot soldier to someone new.
Roy: Meet the new god, same as the old god.
- Panel 10
Roy: If you really want to experience freedom—
Roy: —you should go tell Hel to go to herself and spend the next hundred years backpacking across Tarterus, or whatever vampires do to find themselves.
- Panel 11
"Durkon": You're only saying that because you don't want the world to end.
'Roy': Of course I'm only saying that because I don't want the world to end!
Roy: This is not an otherwise common topic of conversation!
- "Durkon" cast Silence near the entrance to the Great Nave in #995, "Welcome to the Church", making it impossible for the High Priest of Balder to call for the other high priests playing Go Fish in the vestibule.
D&D Context Edit
- "Durkon" continues to showcase the powers of vampires in D&D, now using his ability to take Gaseous Form.
- In D&D, Tarterus is the Outer Plane at the interface of Neutral Evil and Chaotic evil Alignments. It takes its name from the underworld of Greek mythology.