|“At Least It Wasn't the Fourth Wall Again”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||3 January 2008|
|View the comic|
Haley faces off against Tsukiko once more.
- Panel 1
Tsukiko is struck by three of Haley's flaming arrows, "fffffthunk! thunk! thunk!"
Boot Wight: No, Mistress, it's "eight," not "aaargh".
- Panel 2
Haley stands on a tall building, bow in hand.
Haley: You want a piece of me, Tsukiko? Come up here and take it!
Haley: You and me, Round Four!
- Panel 3
Tsukiko: Sounds like fun, let me just erase those Sneak Attacks.
Tsukiko: Cure Critical Wounds!
Tsukiko: Paladin, I've been wounded by that thief. Use your Lay on Hands ability to heal me the rest of the way.
Thanh touches Tsukiko's heel just as she takes flight.
- Panel 4
Tsukiko: There, good as new, almost.
Haley evades the fireball.
Haley: Hey, can someone explain to me why I'm always fighting skanky chicks who can fly?
- Panel 5
Haley: I mean, Sabine, Samantha, Tsukiko... I bet even the druid's hawk was some sort of bird-hussy.
Haley: I should take a level of ranger so I can choose Favored Enemy (Airborne Tramp).
Haley strafes to the right, firing another arrow and readying the next.
- Panel 6
Tsukiko: Tramp?!? Pfft, you're just jealous of my dark mysterious beauty.
Haley: Oh, no, sister. I've been down that fashion road before.
Tsukiko casts another spell, likely Burning Hands.
- Panel 7
Haley: Sure, the black clothes look sexy, but eventually you turn, like, seventeen and realize that all your dark middle-class angst isn't really that meaningful in a world where literal flesh-and-blood demons eat people from time to time.
Haley fires three more flaming arrows, the third of which missing.
- Panel 8
Tsukiko: Screw this!
Tsukiko removes the two arrows from her body.
- Panel 9
Haley: What? Giving up already? I thought we'd have a few more rounds of me effortlessly dodging your spells while making you look like a goth porcupine.
Haley rolls, "tumble!"
- Panel 10
Tsukiko (invisible): Why bother?
Tsukiko (invisible):You're right, Haley. You can dodge any spell that I can cast at you that allows a Reflex save.
- Panel 11
Tsukiko (invisible): That's why after our last fight...
Tsukiko (invisible): ...I looked up a few evocations that use attack rolls instead.
- Panel 12
Tsukiko (partly invisible): Electric Orb.
Haley: Hey, that's not a core sp—
The spell charges in Tsukiko's hand.
- Panel 13
Tsukiko fires the Electric Orb, "zzzzzzzzzz", shattering the comic panel boundary in its path.
- Out of Panel
Haley is struck by the Electric Orb, "POW!"
D&D Context Edit
- Cure Critical Wounds is a 4th level spell that heals 4d8 + 1 point per caster level (max +20).
- The paladin's Lay on Hands ability heals hit points equal to the paladin's level times his charisma modifier.
- Fireball, the classic attack spell, is 3rd level and does 1d6 fire damage per level in a 20 ft radius area of effect.
- Burning Hands is a 1st level spell that does 1d4 damage per level (max 5d4).
- Invisibility is a 2nd level spell that makes the caster invisible, but they become visible again if they attack.
- As Haley notes, Electric Orb is not in the core rules. It was published in the 2001 Tome and Blood: A Guidebook to Wizards and Sorcerers for D&D 3.0. It is a 4th level spell dealing 1d6 points of electrical damage per level, to a maximum of 15d6, additionally magnetizing metallic items for a time.
- The title refers to the colloquial Fourth Wall. A character "breaks" the fourth wall when it acknowledges its medium by addressing the audience directly.
- Haley buys arrows from a duergar (grey dwarf) arms dealer in a flashback in panel eleven of strip #531 (Wake Up Call to Action); it's likely that the arrows used here are supposed to be those +1 Flaming Arrows.
- Haley's line in panel five references her battle with Samantha in strip #160 (The Jell-O Pit Wasn't Available) and Sabine in strip #62 (Heavy Metals).
- Haley's line in panel six is a reference to her appearance as Dark Mistress Shadowgale in strip #93 (Teenage Wasteland).