|“Fantasy Troll-Playing Game”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||23 November 2007|
|View the comic|
The Azurites and the Order put down the scrag attack, but fail to properly dispose of the bodies.
- Elan ◀ ▶
- Durkon Thundershield ◀ ▶
- Vaarsuvius ◀ ▶
- Hinjo ◀ ▶
- Lien ◀ ▶
- Daigo Da- ◀ ▶
- Fleeing Female Wedding Guest ◀
- Fleeing Male Wedding Guest ◀
- Seven Scrags
- An Azure City Soldier
- Panel 1
Durkon: Izzit me, or does this boat seem to get attacked by monsters WAY too often?
Vaarsuvius: I believe that is why they have been dubbed, "Random Encounters," rather than "Statistically Probable Encounters."
- Panel 2
Durkon: Aye, I guess, but this month alone we've fought locathah, sahuggin[sic], merrows, an' now sea trolls.
Durkon: It's like Aquatic Subtype's Greatest Hits 'round 'ere.
- Panel 3
Vaarsuvius: I fail to see the problem. More encounters leads to more experience, which leads to a higher level—and a greater chance of defeating whatever effect is impeding my scrying effors.[sic]
- Panel 4
Lien: Easy for you to say, you're already high level. But we're losing good men and women with each attack.
Durkon: Aye, lass, we know. These two've been killed an' cooked, how else can we help?
- Panel 5
Lien: Two fishing vessels sailing off the port stern have troll borders as well.
Lien: Can you handle them and heal any wounded citizens?
Durkon: Aye, we'll take care o' it.
- Panel 6
Durkon: Uh...which side is—
Lien: For the five hundredth time, port is THAT way.
Durkon: It's na something ye really think'll come up too much when yer a dwarf...
- Panel 7
Lien: Lord Hinjo, are you OK?
Hinjo: Yeah, we just killed the last of them.
Elan: This wedding is now troll-free!
- Panel 8
Hinjo: I'm confused though, I remember reading that trolls could heal all of their wounds—even from death—unless you used fire or acid to kill them.
Elan: Yeah, we just stabbed them a lot and they fell over.
- Panel 9
Lien: That's because these were scrags. Aquatic trolls.
Lien: They only regenerate when immersed in water.
- Panel 10
Lien: What did you guys do with the troll's corpses, anyway?
Elan: We dumped them overboard.
- Panel 11
- Panel 12
An exact repeat of the troll attack panel from #505
D&D Context Edit
- Random encounters are encounters with monsters or other things, usually during travel or within a dungeon, which are not planned by the DM, but rather occur randomly by rolling on a table of random encounters or some other probabilistic method.
- Sahaugin, locathah and merrows are all humanoid races of aquatic monsters.
- Vaarsuvius, who usually announces the spell V is using, is probably using 1st level Burning Hands to dispatch the scrags. V's laments about the effortlessness at which the Order can defeat the skirmishes probably means that V isn't gaining XP from them because they're too easy to dispatch.
- Fly is a 3rd level flight granting flight to the subject.
- The title is a pun on "role-playing game".
- Aboard ships, "port" is the left side of the ship and "starboard" is the right side, as defined by a person facing towards the bow, or front, of the ship.
- This is the final appearance of the Fleeing Wedding Guests, who first appeared doing the exact same thing in #505.