|“I Cannae Tell a Lie”|
|Order of the Stick comic|
|Date published||6 January 2006|
|View the comic|
Durkon tells the truth... technically.
- The Order of the Stick
- Miko Miyazaki ◀ ▶
- Panel 1
As Roy goes to open the door to the cell block, a sound comes from the other side, "clank! clank! clank! clank!"
Haley: Aqmd. Rmtdwx!
- Panel 2
Haley pushes Roy away from the door.
Haley: Fqgj mx dow gwrrt! Fqgj! FQGJ!!!
Roy: What the—?
- Panel 3
Miko enters through the door, just as the cell doors shut off-panel, "CLANG! CLANG!"
Miko: Lord Shojo has—
- Panel 4
Miko: What was that noise? Were those the cell doors? You were trying to escape!
Elan: What? That's silly! How could we possibly escape when these doors are still securely locked?
- Panel 5
The cell door swings slowly open, "creeeeeeeck".
- Panel 6
Elan: Did I say "securely locked"? I meant—
Miko: Honorless pig! I know you were plotting to escape! Luckily, there is still one of you whose word I trust.
- Panel 7
Miko: Durkon, I know you would not lie to me. Were they trying to flee?
Durkon: Huh? Um, well, see...
- Panel 8
Durkon: I can swear on Thor's beard that the five of us never left our cells.
- Panel 9
Miko: Then what of the cell doors? How did they become unlocked?
Durkon: Sigh. Yer right, lass. I cannae lie to ye...
Roy: No, no, no!
- Panel 10
Durkon: 'Twas a mechanical defect.
- Panel 11
Miko: A mechanical... oh. Very well, then, I suppose you were not trying to escape after all.
Miko: Either way, I have been sent to collect you. Lord Shojo has now requested your immediate presence. We will gather the halfling on the way.
- Panel 12
Roy (whispering): "Mechanical defect"?
Durkon (whispering): I dunno, I count, "able to be picked by a rogue," as a pretty major defect, aye?
D&D Context Edit
- Listen checks are governed by Wisdom. Haley has not had much success in Spot checks in the past, but apparently made her check here. Elves, like V, get +2 to Listen checks, though V does not seem to notice the soldiers in this case.
- The translations of Haley's lines are:
- Panel 1: Wait. Listen!
- Panel 2: Back in the cells! Back! BACK!!
- Durkon does not technically lie because:
- Only four of them left their cells.
- Being able to be picked constitutes a mechanical defect in Durkon's opinion.